All aspects regarding your car

If a used motor vehicle is to be imported from the Netherlands and registered, the following documents must be available:

  • Foreign vehicle documents
  • If applicable, original EEC certificate of conformity, otherwise: Full acceptance according to § 21 StVZO by the TÃœV (Technical Inspection Agency) and test certificate for the exhaust emission test
  • For vehicles older than three years: Proof of a general inspection and exhaust emission test
  • Clearance certificate from the Federal Motor Transport Authority (KBA) (valid for max. 1 month; the clearance certificate from the KBA determines whether a German vehicle registration document has already been issued for the vehicle. Forms for requesting a clearance certificate (information from the central vehicle register) and further information at
  • Proof of authorisation to dispose of the vehicle
  • Purchase contract / original invoice
  • In the case of vehicle import from Italy: Certificate of the year of construction of the vehicle (available from the manufacturer of the vehicle or from its general importer in Germany)
  • Completed insurance confirmation
  • Identity card or passport of the future owner
  • Power of attorney and identity card or passport (with registration confirmation from the residents’ registration office) of the person to be represented as well as the authorised representative
  • For company vehicles: Extract from the commercial register or business registration
  • For minors: Written consent of both parents or guardians, identity documents of the minor and the parents or guardians

The Dutch vehicle documents will be confiscated.

If the vehicle is not older than 6 months or has not travelled more than 6,000 km, a declaration for VAT purposes must be submitted at the time of registration, which is passed on by the registration office to the responsible tax office for the purpose of assessing VAT. According to § 18, paragraph 5a, sentence 4 in conjunction with § 15, paragraph 1, number 7 of the VAT Act, you are obliged to submit the “VAT declaration for vehicle taxation purposes†(form USt 1 B) to the responsible tax office within 10 days of purchase and to pay the tax.

Driving licence

To drive a motor vehicle in Germany, you need a driving licence. This is issued in certain categories and must be evidenced by a driving licence.

If you have a driving licence from a member state of the European Union or a state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area, it is generally valid until its expiry date, even if you reside in Germany. However, there are restrictions regarding the period of validity of a driving licence for the following classes: C, C1, CE, C1E, D, D1, DE and D1E. Please contact the Road Traffic Department for more information.