Registration law

If you would like to move your centre of life to Germany or have already moved to Germany, the regulations on the right of residence are particularly important for you.

The framework conditions for your stay in Germany depend on whether you are a citizen of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, come from another country or immigrate as a late repatriate.

If you are not a citizen of a member state of the European Union (EU) or of one of the other member states of the European Economic Area (EEA), you generally need a residence document to stay in Germany. In addition to the visa for entry and subsequent short-term residence, the residence document is issued as a

  • residence permit
  • Blue Card – EU
  • Settlement permit
  • Permit for permanent residence – EU.

The residence permit issued to Swiss nationals and their family members only serves the purpose of certifying the existing right to freedom of movement. If you are a family member of an EU or EEA citizen and therefore entitled to freedom of movement, you will be issued a residence card for this purpose.