Child supplement and other family benefits

If you live in Germany, work in the Netherlands and have children, there are (different) rules in the two countries:

  • Kinderbijslag [child benefit] (NL)
  • Kindergeld [child supplement] (DE)
  • Kinderzuschlag [child allowance] (DE)
  • Kindgebonden Budget [child-related budget] (NL)
  • Kinderbetreuungszuschlag [childcare supplement] (NL)

When do you get these benefits?

Display information

  • If your partner works in Germany, you are entitled to the full German child supplement and possibly child supplement. You will not then get Dutch Kinderbijslag [child benefit]. This also applies to a mini-job in Germany for 8 hours or more per week.
  • If your partner does not work or if he/she is not insured, you are entitled to Dutch Kinderbijslag [child benefit] and possibly Kindgebonden [child-related] budget and your partner is entitled to a complementary German child supplement and possibly a child allowance.
  • If you both work in the Netherlands, you are also entitled to the Dutch Kinderbijslag [child benefit] and possibly Kindgebonden [child-related] Budget complemented by the German child supplement and possibly a child allowance.

The German child supplement can also be claimed for children between the ages of 18 and 25. A condition for this is that they are studying or undergoing training. If the child is studying in the Netherlands, they may be entitled to the Dutch student loan and German child supplement.

If you are entitled to a Kinderbijslag [child benefit] in the Netherlands, it will also be checked whether you are entitled to a Kindgebonden [child-related] Budget. Kindgebonden [child-related] Budget is a type of income-related Kinderbijslag. For the calculation of a possible supplement to the German child supplement, the Kindgebonden [child-related] Budget is taken into account and the German child benefit is reduced.

  • For more information about the Kinderbijslag [child benefit], see the SVB website.
  • For more information about the Kindgebonden Budget, see the website of the Belastingdienst website [tax office].

How to apply for the Kinderbijslag [child benefit] and the Kindgebonden [child-related] Budget

Display information

To apply for a Kinderbijslag [child benefit], you can log in to ‘My SVB’. You can do this using a DigiD or a European recognised login, such as your German ‘New ID card’. If you do not have either, you can call the SVB at +31 50 316 90 20 to order the application forms.

A claim for a Kinderbijslag [child benefit] is automatically a claim for a Kindgebonden [child-related] Budget if you already get a supplementary allowance from the Dutch tax office. You can find more detailed information in Dutch on the tax office’s website:

Do you not receive a supplement from the Belastingdienst [tax office] and do you meet the requirements for the child-related budget? Then apply for your child-related budget with your DigiD via ‘Mijn Toeslagen’. Don’t you have a DigiD? Then you can call the Tax Phone Abroad (BelastingTelefoonBuitenland), 0031 55 5385 385, and request an application form.

You can find more information about the application and a sample calculation here.

Amount of the Dutch Kinderbijslag [child benefit] per month per child (2022)

Age of the child Amount of Kinderbijslag [child benefit]
0 – 5 years old €76.90
6 – 11 years old €93.38
12 – 17 years old €109.85

The Dutch (Kinderbijslag) [child benefit] is paid per quarter.

Claiming child supplement

Display information

Here you can find the application forms for German child supplement. They are also available in Dutch. Note: In addition to the application form, you must fill out an annex for each child. You can also find the forms for notifying changes on the above website.

Attention: If you are not a German national but have the nationality of an EU/EEA state, you must also complete the EU annex (KG1-AnEU).

If you are a cross-border worker, you can apply for child benefit at the Familienkasse Rheinland-Pfalz – Saarland [Family Benefits Office Rhineland-Palatinate].

The amount of the German child supplement per month (as of: 01 January 2022)

Children Amount of child supplement
First two children € 219 per child
Third child € 225
From the 4th child onwards € 250 per child

Childcare supplement

Display information

Are your children professionally cared for in the Netherlands or in Germany? Then you can get a monthly childcare allowance from the Dutch tax office. You can get this childcare allowance under the following conditions:

  • both you and your partner are gainfully employed, and
  • your child attends a recognised childcare facility for which you pay, and
  • your child is registered at your home address.

If your children are cared for in Germany, the institution in question must be registered in the Netherlands. You can find more information about this on the DUO website.

The amount of the childcare allowance depends on your income and your weekly working hours. It also takes into account how many children attend the childcare facility, the amount (number of hours) of childcare used and the cost per hour. A sample calculator can be found on the website, which shows how much of a childcare supplement you can receive.

You submit the application at the Belastingdienst/Toeslagen [tax office/supplements]. You can find more detailed information in Dutch on the tax office’s website:

If you do not have DigiD, you can get more information about applying for the allowances (Toeslagen) from the Belastingdienst Buitenland [Tax Office Abroad]: + 31 555 385 385. Be sure to have your BSN at hand.

Watch this film to find out more about child benefit for people who live in Germany and work in the Netherlands.