Apply for A1 certificate on time

Employers who employ cross-border commuters who also work from their home office in a neighbouring country must apply for an A1 certificate. This is a certificate of active social security status. The application is made on the basis of the framework agreement on teleworking that came into force on 1 July 2023. If the application […]

Reform of Belgian pension system

On 4 April 2024, the Belgian Parliament approved the reform of the Belgian pension system. The reform introduces a new pension bonus, sets an additional condition and upgrades part-time employment for the minimum pension, and limits the perequation of the civil service pension. Pension bonus The new pension bonus is a net bonus that comes […]

Long waiting times for Dutch passport or ID card

Dutch nationals living abroad, beware! There are currently long waiting times for Dutch nationals wishing to apply for or renew their passport or ID card from abroad. The minimum waiting time until the first appointment opportunity is currently 6 to 8 weeks, but can exceed 18 weeks in some municipalities. Keep this in mind, for […]

Double taxation of Dutch nationals in the public sector working from home

Many Dutch nationals who work in the public sector and live in Germany are contacted by their German tax office to submit a tax return in Germany. Often with retroactive effect over several years. The tax office is of the opinion that if these employees have come to Germany voluntarily and carry out an activity […]

Living abroad: Losing your citizen service number (BSN)

Living abroad: Losing your citizen service number (BSN) The citizen service number (BSN) is your personal number for contact with the Dutch authorities. You can usually find your BSN on your passport, identity card and driving licence from the Netherlands. You can also look up the number online via Mijnoverheid. You can also find the […]

Germany: request proof of insurance number free of charge in the event of loss

Since 1 January 2023, there has been the Versicherungsnummernachweis (insurance number certificate, formerly Sozialversicherungsausweis). It contains the following information: Insurance number, first name(s), surname, surname at birth and the date of issue. Employees receive it automatically when they take up their first job. You need the insurance number certificate to identify yourself for social insurance […]

Applying for child sickness benefit: How to do it for residents of the Netherlands

Employees in Germany are familiar with the situation: if you work and have to look after your sick child at home, you will receive child sickness benefit in many cases. This wage replacement benefit is paid by the statutory health insurance fund. One of the prerequisites for this is that the child has statutory health […]

Family members of Dutch civil servants in the EU no longer insured in the Netherlands

Since 1 January 2024, the social security status of family members of civil servants working within the EU/EFTA has changed. As of this year, family members who do not work in the other member state and do not receive short-term benefits are subject to the social security regulations of the country of residence. Accordingly, they […]

Tax declaration in the Netherlands before 1 May

Anyone living in Germany or Belgium who needs to file a tax return in the Netherlands must do so before 1 May 2024. In previous years, the deadline to file a tax return was 1 July, this date has been brought forward from this year. Requesting an extension Should it not be possible to file […]

German-Dutch theme day on family benefits

Do you work as a border commuter in Germany or the Netherlands and have questions about German and Dutch family benefits or German parental benefits? The GrensInfoPunten along the German-Dutch border will hold a theme day on family benefits on Wednesday 7 February 2024. During this digital consultation hour, you can talk directly to employees […]