Living in the Netherlands

Karl Schmidt (35 years, lives in the Netherlands): “I met my wife in July 2009 during a holiday on Texel. Last year we wanted to move in together. Until then I lived in Germany and my wife in the Netherlands. We were then faced with the decision of where to live, in Germany or in the Netherlands. In the end we decided on the Netherlands. During this decision-making phase I had intensive contact with an adviser from the Grenzinfopunkt. Because I continue to work in Germany, little actually changes for me at first. Only when I retire will things change. But before that happens, I will definitely make an appointment with Grenzinfopunkt!”

Emigration to the Netherlands requires extensive preparations. It is therefore advisable to make contact with the relevant authorities and organisations quite some time before actually emigrating. If you continue to work in Germany, nothing will change on your pay slip. However, you will need special forms to settle your taxes in Germany. In some cases, you will also have to pay taxes in the Netherlands. You will then also have to deal with the Dutch health insurance system. This system is organised differently than in Germany. If you continue to work in Germany, you will receive an additional insurance card. If you move to the Netherlands with a German pension, you should apply for exemption from the Dutch volksverzekeringen/uniform insurance. Otherwise you will have to pay contributions in the Netherlands on your German pension.

Getting married in the Netherlands

The most important reason why Germans move to the Netherlands is love. Marriage is often the result. You can find out which regulations apply and which documents you need on this website.


Living in another country entails different rules. This also applies to the issue of inheritance. If a family member dies, there are different rules in the Netherlands and in Germany. This also applies to inheritance tax. Find out from a notary what you can arrange.


Moving to the Netherlands does not necessarily mean that you have to change your nationality. If you wish to do so, you can attend a naturalisation course. Once you have successfully completed this course, you can change your nationality.

Identity card / passport

If you wish to keep your German citizenship, you can have your identity card renewed at the German Consulate General in Amsterdam. This is also possible at some German border municipalities.


The Dutch tax office gives special advice for immigrants. There are a few points that need to be taken into account.

Moving to or from the Netherlands: M-tax return (aangifte) now also possible online

If you have only lived in the Netherlands for part of the year, file an M-tax return. As of 1 June 2021, you no longer have to file your M-tax return on paper. You can also submit it online using your DigiD or a European-approved login tool (eIDAS).
Read more here:

A few more tips:

  • Residents of the Netherlands pay Dutch income tax. A move will affect your income. It is therefore important to get good advice beforehand about the effects of a move on income.
  • Make a will so that you can bequeath according to your wishes.
  • If you live in the Netherlands with a German pension and have a small additional income, you will have to pay contributions to the Dutch social security system for all your income. You may then pay more than you earn from the part-time job!
  • A lot of information is also provided by the Federal Office of Administrationand from the Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (Sozialkompass Europa).
  • General information about moving to the Netherlands can also be found in our brochure.
  • If you are getting married, you will find a lot of information here.