Working and unemployment


If you work in Belgium as an employee from Germany, you pay into unemployment insurance in Belgium. However, you do not always receive a benefit from Belgium. The country from which you receive your unemployment benefit depends on whether you become fully or partially unemployed.

When am I fully unemployed?

You are fully unemployed when you are no longer working in Belgium. In this case, your ties with Belgium are cut. You are then entitled to a payment from your country of residence, i.e. unemployment benefit from Germany.

If you have any doubts as to whether you are still bound to your country of work, please contact a GrenzInfoPunkt.

When am I partially unemployed?

You are partially unemployed if you are still partly employed in Belgium. This may or may not involve the same employer. In such a case, the connection to Belgium remains. There may be several cases in this respect. You are then entitled to a payment from your country of employment, i.e. an unemployment benefit from Belgium. This is the case, for example, in the event of short-time work or “bad weatherâ€.

You can get personal advice at our GrenzInfoPunkts.