Health insurance

Whether a student has to take out health insurance in the Netherlands at all – or not – depends on a number of factors which, in combination, have different consequences. The individual factors are:

  • Place of residence
  • Age
  • Type of insurance in Germany
  • Work in the Netherlands
  • Work in Germany

For a precise, individual clarification, it is advisable to contact an adviser at the Grenzinfopunkt or your own health insurance company.

If the student lives in Germany and is not subject to compulsory health insurance in the Netherlands, it is still useful to apply for an EHIC (European Health and Insurance Card) from the German health insurance company in order to be able to receive medical care in the Netherlands in an emergency. However, the card is only valid for temporary stays abroad, which can in principle also include studies. The exact requirements and billing modalities should be checked in advance with the German health insurance fund and also with the Dutch Zilveren Kruis.

If you have family insurance with a German health insurance (through your parents) and do not work in the Netherlands, you must prove to the Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB) that you are only staying in the Netherlands for the purpose of studying (so-called WLZ proof procedure). Otherwise you could be fined for allegedly breaching the obligation to take out health insurance. Determination of WLZ insurance by the Sociale Verzekeringsbank (in Dutch and English)

The scope of benefits and reimbursement of possible costs should definitely be clarified personally in advance. It may be advisable to take out supplementary private health insurance in addition to statutory health insurance, as possible co-payments in the host country are not necessarily covered by the domestic health insurance provider. Costs for return transport of the patient should also be considered here.

Furthermore, disabled persons and chronically ill persons – especially if they have private insurance – should inform themselves about the exact conditions of benefits.Accident and liability insurance should also be taken out. It should be noted that there is no coverage by the German Statutory Accident Insurance.

Part-time job in the Netherlands

A student who has a part-time job in the Netherlands is generally subject to Dutch social insurance and therefore also Dutch health insurance. The following has to be taken into account:

As a rule, the basic insurance (basisverzekering) is compulsory for everyone who lives and/or works (part-time) in the Netherlands. It includes the basic benefits catalogue. As far as contributions are concerned, the insured person is required to pay a nominal contribution of approximately € 100. Furthermore, a deductible has to be taken into account when claiming benefits. Depending on the personal financial capacity, a health insurance surcharge (zorgtoeslag) can be considered as a benefit from the Dutch tax office (Belastingdienst). Furthermore, contributions to the Dutch long-term care insurance (Wet Langdurige Zorg, WLZ for short) must be taken into account. In addition, there is the possible supplementary insurance (aanvullende verzekering), which covers care that is not already part of the basic benefits catalogue of the health insurance. Because of the different scope of benefits, a careful examination of the individual offers is recommended. Particular attention should be paid to dental care if
required, which is not part of the basic insurance.

Because the student lives in Germany, he or she can also claim benefits from the health insurance fnd in Germany by means of an EU contract. To do this, he needs the S1 form (formerly E106) from his Dutch ‘zorgverzekeraar’.