From which country do you receive your pension?

If you work in Belgium, you will also receive a Belgian old-age pension (rustpensioen/pension de veillesse).

The pension entitlement depends on the number of years you have accrued a Belgian pension and the amount of your wages. For each year of employment in Belgium, you will receive a Belgian pension beginning at the legal retirement age. The retirement age will increase from 65 to 66 starting in 2025 and to 67 starting in 2030. The full Belgian old-age pension is paid after a qualifying period of 45 years.

If you work in Belgium, you will not lose the pension rights you have already acquired in Germany. If you retire later, you will receive a German pension for the duration of your employment in Germany.

You can find more information about the Belgian old-age pension on the website of the Federal Pension Service

Supplementary pension

You may build up a “supplementary” pension through your Belgian employer with a group insurance scheme.

This second-pillar pension is accrued in accordance with the conditions of the relevant pension insurer and is paid out by the pension insurer when you reach the legal retirement age.


If you receive a legal pension from Belgium, it remains taxable in Belgium according to the double taxation agreement between Belgium and Germany. You must therefore continue to fill in a non-resident tax return.

Where are you insured for health as a pensioner?

If you have only worked in Belgium, you will only receive a Belgian pension and will continue to be insured for health there. You can remain insured with your German health insurance without paying contributions and thus benefit from the services in both countries.

If you receive pensions from both countries, you are insured for health in your country of residence. The contribution there is calculated on the basis of your world income, i.e. also via your Belgian pension.

How and where do you apply for your pension?

You apply for your state pension in person. Where you have to do this depends on where you live at the time of retirement. The request always goes through your country of residence.

You send the request for payment from your group insurance to the relevant insurance company.